4.9.06

A girl´s right to perfect white rice


I know I shouldn´t say bad things about my mother. She´s really a very good mother, all things considered, and has even managed to teach me to type, and to speak Italian, which are nice little bonus tracks.
So don´t judge her harshly when I say this.
She uses parboiled rice.
There, it´s out.
Parboiled rice sucks so much, I wonder there aren´t public demonstrations, and debates, and Decent Rice enforcement laws ( yep, still watching The West Wing 24/7, can you tell?)
Why anyone would voluntarily eat the stuff is beyond me. If you want rice, why not eat rice that tastes of rice? Why go for pebbly blandness? A mystery.

But anyway. I moved out, eventually, and struck out on my own, ricewise. I began to use the same method taught to me by same said mother 15 years before, but with good old Sos short grain rice, in the 2 parts water to 1 part rice ratio. My life improved

And then I saw in a Donna Hay book a different ratio, 1 part rice to 1.5 water. I tried it, and it took me 15 minutes to abandon my method of 15 years. The rice comes out much more separate and fluffy, perfect.
It´s the rice I make to go with Chinese food, or to go with pisto or beef stew.
I´m passing on the recipe, because I am full of evangelical zeal about this. Everyone´s entitled to good rice, regardless of their birth or upbringing.
P.s: te quiero mamá

Basic white rice
adapted from Donna Hay´s Modern classics

Take a pan with a glass lid, if possible.

Add a drizzle of olive oil. When hot, put your measure of rice, turn it a little for 30 seconds or so.
Add one and a half measures of water, and a pinch of salt. Turn heat up, and when it boils, inmediately turn the heat down to minimun.
When the rice makes those little chimney holes, turn the heat off, and leave to rest ten minutes more, without touching the lid.

If you don´t have a glass lid, give it ten minutes on low. Don´t peek, or the steam will escape.

For long grain rice, or basmati, use 1/1.

15 comentarios:

xps dijo...

yo tambien te quiero. y me gusta tu arroz y el mio

Anónimo dijo...

Voto por el sistema de Ximena hija: El que he enseñado a mis hijas. ¡Viva S.O.S!
Mi aportación: Añadir con el agua unos pocos guisantes congelados.

Kalyn Denny dijo...

Well since you brought up the subject, I do have to defend your mother just a bit. Actually two of the greatest cooks who ever lived (Julia Child and James Beard) both used Uncle Ben's Converted Rice, which is parboiled rice. I use it myself for a different reason. It's the lowest glycemic type of white rice, so for anything who is eating the low glycemic way (avoiding simple carbs which are quickly converted to glucose) either for weight loss or to control insulin levels, it's the perfect type of rice. And honestly, I don't think it's bad at all. But to each her own, that's why I say. I'm pro-choice when it comes to eating!

Raquel dijo...

WHAT A CUTE PIC!!!!!

(I don´t dare to say anything about your mum´s parboiled rice. Noooooo way)

Jen dijo...

I love that illustration!!!
I have to say I have never encountered parboiled rice, so I can't judge your mother.

Having an Asian upbringing meant only good experiences with rice, so i'm just wondering what does par boiled rice taste like?

lobstersquad dijo...

xps: ok

carmen: totalmente de acuerdo

kalyn: Uncle Ben´s is my mother´s brand, too. Pro-choice is a good idea, you´re right

Guru: only one mother, many rices...

Jenjen: it doesn´t taste of ANYTHING, that´s the
problem. total blandness. lucky you, with Asian rice

Anónimo dijo...

i too am a parboiled rice person... i just can never get rice to cook correctly for me (except risotto, i am QUEEN of risotto)
i think some people have the touch, and some just don't
me and your mom, we can hang and talk about parboiled rice anytime ;-)

Anónimo dijo...

Uncle Ben's was the rice of my childhood and the way I've been making rice currently, I may have to go back to it. I've completely lost my rice touch which I mostly blame on our stove and its burners which go from volcanic to medium high to off with no stops in between.

Do they have Minute Rice in Spain? Now that is truly nasty.

Anónimo dijo...

Hi Ximena! Thank for the rice tips - it's always exciting to find new (and preferred) ways to prepare old favourites!

lobstersquad dijo...

it´s pretty clear that I´m with the Asian demographic on this. The rest of you are just making my mother cock-a-hoop. she´ll serve me the uncle ben´s and say : "all your blogger friends like it". :)

Anónimo dijo...

I have to eat both as you know but me as a rice lover...I prefer yours it's amazing and the best thing is that you taught me how to do it...thanks a lot!!!!!

Chris dijo...

Can I ask a stupid question? I'd like to try better rice, but where and how do I find it? I know Uncle Ben's, the rice of my childhood as well, and his ilk are available in grocery stores. Is this good stuff available too? Do any of you ever order rice online?

LE BLOG dijo...

Me encanta el saquito de arroz! Está en vivo y en directo o lo has retocado???

Anónimo dijo...

Que bueno! Quisiera que el arroz del pote probara mejor por años y años, pero here in the United States, whenever I complain about it, people just tell me to go buy a stupid rice maker! Argh! Muchas gracias, Ximena!

Lolie dijo...

You are so right to bring up this topic! I had previously thought of poor rice appreciation as deficite unique to the United States. Once you have the technique you can branch out - short grain, basmati, brown, etc. Hurray for good rice!

Share