25.4.09

Peanut slaw

Oh the joy of French onion soup. Not only the queen of soups, but probably top of my list of all time top ten grilled cheese greats, and high up there in any top ten list I ever make.
We had that on Thursday at the knife skills class, which was great, because I´ve always had some caramelization issues and I think now I know how to do it properly.
Also, I learnt this great tip: add vanilla right at the end of whatever you do with it because it tends to lose its perfume with long cooking. The reduced red wine sauce the chef made to prove this point was like hitting a brick wall of vanilla. Except, you know, nice.

All the stuff we did was classic bistro cooking and as such way beyond my usual scope, so instead I´ll link to this cabbage slaw, and just say I do it without the cilantro.
It´s a perfect thing to make when you´re distracted and kind of hungry but not really, because you had a heavy lunch, yet want some kind of a healthy yet not boring dinner. Or when you´re on a diet (but don´t go wild with the peanuts). Or when you want to serve vegetables but can´t be bothered to peel carrots or wash and dry lettuce. Or when cabbage is all you have, since it can last forever, unassumingly lurking in the fridge until called for.
So you see, most of the time, really.
It´s a good one for trying out new found knife skills, too, as chopping cabbage has to be one of the easiest, most rewarding chicken tasks. No matter how inept or slow you are, in no time you have a mound of crunchy leaves to be proud of.

2 comentarios:

Charity Promoter dijo...

I work and volunteer for Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa (Canada), an organization that supports youth, adults, and seniors with disabilities. We are hosting our 15th annual fundraiser, Evening in the Maritimes, on May 27th at the Hilton Lac Leamy. The event features a 5-course lobster dinner (lobster flown in fresh same day), silent auction, raffle, and entertainment by Celtic rock group Rawlins Cross.

I saw the title of your blog and learned that you are an illustrator, so I thought you'd find our campaign interesting: www.LOBSTERSareCOMING.com.

Cheers,


Jennifer Forbes
Citizen Advocacy of Ottawa

Serena dijo...

Hola! Me gustan los dibujos!! Son bonitos y comicos!

Haha that was my attempt to remember some high school spanish... I really like your style of drawing... and i LOVE food...keep up the good work!


Kisses from La Jolla, California!

Share